My story:: The Orphan with the Magic Gloves.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My story:: The Orphan with the Magic Gloves.

Post  Scampi on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:16 pm

((Okay, I know the title's pretty crap, and the story is gonna be really weird or whatever, but, mehh. I find that writing stories relaxes me, even when I don't feel like roleplaying, it makes me feel better, kinda. Anyway, here goes. If you do read it, thanks, and I hope you enjoy it. Any constructive criticism I'll take on board and try to make it better, so... Yeah.))

Nikita was twelve years old and had been living at the orphanage for as long as she could remember. As Christmas time drew nearer, she always became less social, and hid herself away more, although she tended to do this a lot anyway. Every orphan got a small present each year, a book, a thick book to keep them busy, and a diary for the coming year. Nikita liked to read the books, although none of them lasted for more than a month, so she always re-read the books that she could call hers. The young girl would often read her diaries from the past years and have a look at how she had changed. Her handwriting had improved a vast amount, and she wrote more in each day now more than she did from when she wrote her first diary entry. Now that she was growing up, she had more emotions. She could feel things more, especially since now she understood a lot of things that she didn't before. The orphanage wasn't the best place to live, but it was most definitely not the worst. It provide each child a decent education, so that they could perhaps someday make themselves a living.

Twenty-fourth of December. A day until my birthday, when I would be thirteen, a teenager. Nothing special though. It was just another year of life, rolling around once again. Maybe this year would be different in some way. I wished it was, because then I wouldn't be doing the same old things, writing the same things in my diary, reading the same books, singing the same songs. Feeling the same way I did every year. I wrote inside the small area for a diary entry, 'Well, it's no different than last year. I'm getting a year older and another year closer to death. Hopefully things will change. I hope so.' After signing my name at the bottom, 'xNikkix' with a small heart above the 'i'. I let out a small sigh, then, just like every year for the past two years, I walked over to my bedroom window, pulled the curtain back and sat in the small hole as I looked out at the night sky. It was nine at night, and everything was so dark. I started to read through my diary this year, smiling ever so slightly to myself as I read through the loopy, but elegant notes about what that particular day was like. It wasn't long until I had fallen asleep on the window ledge, the books had fallen onto my lap.

I woke up the next day because of the light coming in, due to the time in the morning. I groaned slightly, well, I guess I was thirteen now, and not only was it my birthday, but it was Christmas too. I smiled slightly to myself as I looked out, at the layer of white snow that covered the town. It really was a beautiful sight. I yawned and stretched, before coming out of my little hiding place that only my petite body could fit in. I walked across my room to my bed, smiling at the neatly wrapped packages. I picked one up, a book, another, smaller and thinner. Diary, then there was another, another book. Then there was something... Unfamiliar... I picked it up and felt that it was... Soft. Fabric. Socks maybe? I looked at the tag,
Happy Birthday NikNak. It read. In curiosity, I tore the rougher-looking parcel open to find a pair of finger-less gloves, they were stripy, and were black and gray, the black stripes had sparkles of silver and gold, mostly silver. I smiled to myself again, nobody here called me NikNak... Maybe I had a family after all! My excitement was clear in my eyes. I opened the other gift, yep, a book, the other two were Christmas presents and to be opened later, at dinner, it was a tradition at the orphanage, and I wasn't going to break that tradition. I looked down at my shivering body, I was only wearing a tank top and soft fabric shorts. I always wore them for bed, but since it was freezing, I had a feeling I should get into something much warmer. I pulled on some thick, rather fluffy pyjamas and snuggled into the warmth that they created. It was only six O'clock, people would start to wake up soon, so I guess I should enjoy the peace while I could. I wanted to open my new diary to write in what happened today, but because of the tradition, I couldn't. So I opened my old one, and started to write in the space for the twenty-fifth of December. Well... Not only did I get another book because it's my birthday, but I have some gloves, they don't have the ends, so my fingers show, they're really nice though, but I don't know who got me them... I tapped my pencil as I thought about what to put next. Unfortunately, nothing came to mind, so I shut the diary with a small frown. I picked up my new book and began to read, getting lost in the exciting fiction.

Time always flies when you escape the real world. I was a couple of chapters in when. I heard someone knocking on my door.
'Nikki, you're going to miss breakfast.' Said the soft voice at the other side of my door. It was one of the people who worked at the orphanage, Maria. I quite liked Maria, she was kind, a good listener and you could always go to her for advice. I smiled as I placed a folded piece of paper inside the book to mark where I had got up to. After the book and old diary were under my pillow, I got up and went to the door, opening it to see the kind face, with long golden curls surrounding it and her sapphire eyes staring back into my lime green ones. She smiled at me. I smiled back. Then I followed her silently down to the dining area, where I saw children already tucking in to their breakfasts and scoffing their faces, it disgusted me really, they didn't have table manners, at least, the younger kids didn't.

I took a seat at the table where I usually sat and carefully started to eat the cooked English breakfast that would only be here because it was Christmas, we also had it on New Years Day. As soon as I sat down, the person next to me, had said
'Happy birthday Nikki!' And the set the person next to her off, it was like the mexican wave, but people were speaking, instead of waving. I appreciate it. I really do. When the person to the other side of me, Callum, said it to me, I smiled again. "Thanks." I said to everybody. That was what we did on somebody's birthday. We don't sing happy birthday or have a cake, we just go round in a circle. People started finishing their breakfast and leaving the table.

I was the last one to leave. I was usually the first, but today was different. I felt the gloves in the pocket of my pyjama bottoms. After helping to clean up, I walked over to the big window in the dining hall, which had a soft, padded area, to sit down on. I stared out the window, I felt like crying and I didn't know why. Then I felt something on my shoulder. It was Callum. Relieved, I went back to looking out of the window, as he took a place next to me.
"You okay?" He asked me. Callum and I are close, close enough so that I could be myself around him. "I'm fine." I told him, and I was, I think. I didn't really know how to explain my emotions to him, since I wasn't entirely sure how I was feeling at the moment. I could feel his gaze on me. So I pulled out the gloves. "I got these, for my birthday. The tag said happy birthday NikNak." I told him, his confused look made me continue. "That was all it said on the tag, but nobody here calls me NikNak." I lowered the gloves down into my lap, the urge to put them on suddenly appeared from nowhere, and it scared me. "I know that, Nikki." He said with the trace of a smile, the edges of his mouth twitching up slightly. This caused me to smile. "Do you think I should, y'know, wear them?" I asked him, he looked at me with a slightly confused look. "They're only gloves, it's not like the carers are gonna maul your eyes out for wearing some gloves." He said jokingly, the carers were actually quite nice, well, some of them were, but his statement did cause me to laugh. I pulled them on and the feeling that overcame me when they were both on completely. It shocked me. A tingling sensation went through my body and I felt... Powerful.

Scampi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My story:: The Orphan with the Magic Gloves.

Post  Scampi on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Something had changed. I knew that right away. I wanted to take them off, however that might look suspicious, so I didn't. Instead I kept them on and smiled up at Callum. "They're really warm!" I said with a fake grin, he would think that I was having one of my childish moments. He just laughed, believing my act. "Anyway, I should be going, I was getting really into my book." I shrugged slightly before saying a quick goodbye to him and heading up to my bedroom.

As soon as I was in my room, I pulled the gloves off and threw them onto the floor. However when I took them off, my hands started to sting and the gloves started to sparkle. I was seeing things. Or I was dreaming. Or something! This couldn't be real! Could it? The sparkled kept increasing. I started to panic, but then they just all disappeared, and a small envelope was left. I picked it up and opened it cautiously. It was just an ordinary letter.

Nikita.
Firstly, put the gloves back on.

I looked at the gloves, the letter was blank after that, and I was confused. The letter said 'firstly'. What did it mean by that? That was all there was! Reluctantly, I pulled the gloves back on, almost as soon as I had, more of the letter revealed itself.

Now that we have that out of the way, on your birthday, we will be outside the orphanage at 10PM sharp. Don't be scared of us NikNak, we're your sisters and it's about time we got you out of there. We'll explain more when we see you.
xMikax

With a heart above the 'i'. That had to be a coincidence, right? There was more than just one person though, how many was there? What were they like? I wanted to know so much! Tonight I could finally find out who I was! I could finally leave and live with a real family! Although... It was like one big family here and I would miss people. Oh gosh! Callum! I couldn't leave him! I guess I would have to, despite how much of a brother he has been to me! I sighed. He could keep a secret, but could I trust him with something this big? I didn't know, but I wasn't taking any chances. I couldn't tell him, despite how much I wished to. I started to pack some things I needed into a rucksack. Clothes, underwear, a few books, diaries, toothbrush, hairbrush. Everything was ready, but I still needed to open two presents. I read my birthday book until it was dinner time.

I walked downstairs with the two parcels in tow, once down, I took my usual seat at the table. What would it be like without me here? Would they miss me? Be glad there was one less mouth to feed? I wasn't sure, but at the dinner table, I wasn't going to wear the gloves. However I put them on briefly inbetween the meals; prawns for a starter, a christmas dinner, then a pudding for anyone who wanted any. I chose not to. We pulled crackers, wore hats, then after the dinner we opened presents, as usual, a diary and a book. No change there. Everybody seemed happy, so I just played along and kept my thoughts to myself. No change there either. As soon as I got the chance, I left and exiled myself to my bedroom.

I kept a close eye on the time as I read, I did read a lot, I guess it was because there was little else to do. At about nine o'clock, carers came around and told us lights out. It was nearly time, and I was feeling nervous, but excited! I was somewhat nervous about meeting my sisters, and worried about what they might think about me. However that was where the excitement came from. Everything was ready and packed, and I hadn't bothered to change into pyjamas tonight, there was no point, they were all packed, and I was just waiting for the right time now. As ten struck the hour, I was already at the window, this was the only way I could get out, surely they knew this... I sighed, they probably didn't. Then, I heard a rattling, and I feared for a second, and then the window flew open and I was greeted by a smiling young adult, a few years older than me. Then behind her was a spitting image of her... Twins! I had twin sisters! The one who opened the window helped me out and guided me towards two motorbikes, one on each, I joined one twin, not knowing their names so I didn't want to speak. Once on, they drove away quickly into the night.

Scampi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top